Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Going to have to bone up on my Japanese!

Dear Family,
 Well we are writing today because of transfers.  I didnt get transferred but my companion did.  He went to Federal Way in the Hylebos ward so thats exciting.  My new companion is Elder Yamashita, he is from Japan. He knew no English when he came out on his mission.  So we will do lang. study from 10-11.  His great though, he converted when he was 17 years old.  He has been out for 3 months so far.  It was cool to be able to talk to everyone at transfers.  I was able to talk to Elder Brown which was great, I was able to brush up on speaking marshalese. I still know a lot.  He is in the Olympic Branch, which is marshalese. I'm a little jealous but maybe someday I will join him there. I'm pretty excited about this upcoming transfer. Hopefully we will be able to have some good sucess.
  Right now we have 4 people on date, but none are solid right now. It was a pretty crazy week though.  We had a lesson with George who is from romania. We brought Bro. Robinson who knows russian.  We had a really good lesson him, and it was snowing that night. So we were leaving and Bro. Robinson had parked perpendicular to the road, and it was kinda down a slight incline.  We ended up not being able to get out.  So after about 30 minutes of trying to push it out and getting mud all over our clothes, we called Bro Robinsons wife and she came and pulled us out in her car.  It was actually a good experience because we were able to create a good bond  with George and his son as we were trying to push the car.  And when sis Robinson came she invited George and his family over for dinner, when he gets back from his trip. He drives trucks across the country so he wont be back until late march. 
  Sounds like Spring Break was really good, thats cool that BYU was able to come back from that kind of deficit.  We were tracting on saturday and one of the guys we talked to told us that Duke had lost to Leigh. Which is pretty surprising, especially with Coach K being the coach.  Elder Yamashita likes basketball so we will definitely play basketball. I need to stop being lazy on preparation day anyway. 
 Oh, I went on exchanges last week with the zone leaders.  I was with Elder Aiken.  We were tracting this apartment complex and  the second door we know knock this guy opens the door and lets us right in.  We go on to share a message with him. Turns out he was a evangelical pastor for 30 years. The first 15 minutes of the lesson he was in the kitchen doing the dishes and listening but not 100%.  He finally comes over and he asks a question about the second coming and what we belief about it.  Elder Aiken and I just bore powerful testimony of Jesus Christ and how we need to prepare for the second coming, and that the restoration of the gospel is how we can do that. It was the most powerful lesson of my misson so far.  His countenance totally changed, at the beginning he thought he already knew everything. By the end of the lesson he was sitting down and was humble and truly seeking truth.  They took him on a church tour the next day. Turns out he has 5 daughters, one who is still living at home and is going through a rough time and he thinks YW's and this church will help her.
 Also while on exchange, I went to their ward correllation. One of the ward missionaries is Sis Nielson who lived right across the street from indian trails in the cedars.  She I guess was best friends with Ruth Gardner. She also knew Jordan Hale and the Hales pretty good as well.  So it was pretty cool to be able to talk with her.
 Well I hope everyone has good week! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment